Friday, October 9, 2009

Pizza Soup




All I can say is YUM-O!

For all those people that have requested a copy of yummy pizza soup
...here it is...go make it. SOON!
IF you like
meat (or pizza!!) try this.

YUM!

Ingredients: (feel free to substitute)
1 jar (14 oz) of pizza sauce
3 empty jars full of water
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in quarters (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained--which is what I use)
You might like mushrooms as well?
2 already-cooked Italian sausage (I cook mine up while I'm putting the rest of my groceries away. then I freeze it)
1 cup sliced pepperoni
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 T dried)
1 T dried oregano
1/2 to 1/3 cup of dried pasta (I use penne, and I use almost a cup--as per Mike's request)
shredded mozzarella cheese (to add later)




The Directions.

Use a 5 or 6 quart crockpot for this recipe.

Wash and prepare veggies. (including tomatoes!!)
Dump them into the crockpot.


If not already cooked or cut up... Cook and cut up the sausage into small pieces.
Add sausage and pepperoni to crockpot.
Add basil & oregano.


Pour in the pizza sauce, and follow with three empty jars of water.


Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Everything in this is already cooked, so you are really only heating through and allowing the flavors to meld.

Thirty minutes (or so) before serving, add the dry pasta, and turn to high.
Garnish/top with shredded mozzarella cheese.

ENJOY!!!!!


3 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks Amy!!
Q: what kind of sausage do you use I've had some good and bad- where do you get it??

Amy said...

To be honest Karen, I use whatever is on sale...I try to get the stuff that's marked down since I know I'm going home to cook it anyways. IF I could choose..lol..I'd get chicken sausage, but mostly it's pork. (mild/italian)

Shaun and Holly said...

Hey:
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
xo